[Dovecot] transitional weirdnesses

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Wed Aug 20 20:20:26 EEST 2003

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 08:15:14PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003, at 19:30 Europe/Helsinki, Mark E. Mallett
> wrote:
>
> >>It's also where I was going to put the Sieve scripting. I was going to
> >>create a separate "deliver" binary which would read the mail from
> >>stdin
> >>and place it into proper mailbox. This could be also used to update
> >>indexes immediately while mail is being delivered.
> >
> >How important do you think it is for the local delivery agent
> >to update the indexes upon delivery?  I assume that would be the
> >primary purpose of your including a delivery agent in the package..
>
> No, the primary purpose would be to have Sieve scripting.

Ah.  I already have that, and I suspect that anybody who wants it can
have it, too.

> >If it's important to update the indexes upon delivery, perhaps it
> >would be worthwhile to provide some kind of toolkit that could be
> >included into other delivery agents.  I'm already using a sieve-ish
> >filtering delivery agent, and I imagine I would keep on using it.  But
> >I wouldn't be averse to adding logic to update indexes if it meant
> >some kind of performance gain.
>
> There already is, kind of. lib-storage/mail-storage.h is the main API
> that can be used to access mailboxes.

I don't think that's an exact match.  A delivery agent already has its
own method of internalizing information about the mail message, (and
already has a mail message open and parsed and in memory), and to have
a hook into updating the indexes all that it really needs is some way
of passing the indexable information to the indexer.  If indeed it's
worth doing.

mm