[Dovecot] rawlog change suggestion

Charlie Brady charlieb-dovecot at e-smith.com
Thu Aug 21 21:31:21 EEST 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003, at 23:47 Europe/Helsinki, Charlie Brady
> wrote:
>
> > I find the separate .in and .out files rather difficult to work with. I
> > think it would be more useful if the in/out traffic were interleaved
> > with
> > a prefix to indicate direction, and suffix to indicate continuation, as
> > recordio (http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/recordio.html) does:
>
> Depends on usage. I've wanted both.

You can easily generate the separate logs from a combined logs, but it is
a much more difficult problem to combine the two logs to one (and I think
you can only do it approximately, and then only if you assume that both
client and server implement IMAP correctly).

> > Comments?
>
> Thanks for reminding that rawlog functionality really doesn't belong to
> Dovecot. Rawlogging should be a separate binary which is executed by
> modifying mail_executable setting in config file. Something like:

It suits me to have it built in and available without any sysadmin change,
as it makes it easier to collect logs from unsophisticated users/admins.

--
Charlie