[Dovecot] conversion to maildir

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Tue Aug 26 20:16:49 EEST 2003

is really a royal pain in the butt.  most of the conversion tools only do a
partial job.  mb2md seems to be the best but it does not convert the from line
correctly unless you are using exim for an MTA.  It also does not get the file
status right so everything is written to the new maildir directory.  something
else that makes the process painful is when you have folders containing
mailboxes.  And the process is *slow* when you have 2 GB of mail (yes, I will be
deleting some soon).

looks like I will be debugging and rewrapping this package real soon now..

to relate this to dovecot: this is probably not the job of the imap server but
it would be real nice to be able to fit in some sort of a plug-in that could
automatically do the conversion on a mailbox as it is opened.

it would make migrations trivial easy.  give me the ability to use python for
plug-ins and I will write such a tool.

---eric