[Dovecot] mail accounts for users without home dirs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 28 12:02:16 EEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 11:04, Bob Hall wrote:
> > There is. With unix accounts I mean about having the user in /etc/passwd
> > or equilevant. Kernel doesn't care about that, it only cares about the
> > uids used for files and processes.
>
> I thought that the OS used UIDs to associate files and processes with
> passwd accounts. So if you pass Dovecot a UID that doesn't correspond
> to the account that owns the mail files, then you don't get access to
> the mail files.

The point was that the mail files are owned by the same uid that is
running imap process. It doesn't matter if the uid is in passwd-file or
not, it's just ls, ps and other userspace programs that map uids to
usernames using it.

So you would have to have same uid <-> username maps for Dovecot and
SMTP server, but they don't have to be anywhere else.