[Dovecot] IMAP error after login

Wouter Van Hemel wouter at pair.com
Wed Aug 27 20:22:53 EEST 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Thursday, Aug 14, 2003, at 10:31 Europe/Helsinki, Nicolas STRANSKY
> wrote:
>
> > I'm having a slight problem with Dovecot (0.99.10-0.rc2, on Debian
> > woody). When using mozilla 1.4, there is an error message from the
> > mailer just after login, but nothing in dovecot logs.
> > "Alert
> > The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: Error
> > in
> > IMAP command UID: Too long argument.."
> >
> > How could I fix this problem ?
>
> You have a large mailbox and Mozilla tries to send a huge command to
> Dovecot. [...]

If this is Mozilla's problem for not cutting up the command into smaller
pieces - I believe the rfc limits the length of an IMAP command? - maybe a
bugreport could be filed in the project's bugzilla. In the long run, that
might be better than enlarging the buffer to a certain maximum amount of
messages, which could prove to be a game without end.

How about other imap clients? Do they split up long commands?