[Dovecot] No localhost after reboot

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Thu Aug 28 05:38:50 EEST 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 03:57:30AM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 20:47, Bob Hall wrote:
> > 	imap_listen = *
>
> What does "netstat -na|grep 143" say with this?

It says that the server is listening at that port and there are
users connected, but that's on the LAN interface. There's no
mention of 127.0.0.1. If I try to open a connection from the
command line, netstat reports SYN_SENT to 127.0.0.1:143, but
there's no response and no connection is established.

> > 	imap_listen = <mailhost>:143
> > They behave the same; no localhost. Prior to the reboot, I was using
> > localhost on a daily basis for testing. I never use IP6 for anything,
> > so the OS kernel is compiled without IP6 support. When I try to log
> > in, I get
> > 	$ telnet localhost 143
> > 	Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > so the system is trying to connect on an IP4 interface.
>
> OK, so it's not that then.

Ever since tools got more complicated than the hammer, civilization
has been going downhill. Hammers use binary logic; if you hit something,
it either goes <bang> or <splat>. I don't know what computers use;
pixie dust maybe?

Bob Hall