[Dovecot] mail accounts for users without home dirs

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Thu Aug 28 11:04:03 EEST 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 10:18:48AM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 10:01, Bob Hall wrote:
> > > They don't have to have real accounts, just the uids have to be
> > > reserved for them. For example you could just decide that uids above
> > > 10000 are for virtual users in LDAP.
> >
> > Since the UIDs don't correspond to actual system accounts, then I
> > take it that there's no OS level security?
>
> There is. With unix accounts I mean about having the user in /etc/passwd
> or equilevant. Kernel doesn't care about that, it only cares about the
> uids used for files and processes.

I thought that the OS used UIDs to associate files and processes with
passwd accounts. So if you pass Dovecot a UID that doesn't correspond
to the account that owns the mail files, then you don't get access to
the mail files. For example, when I passed one account UID number to
Dovecot, and the mail files were owned by another account, access
was denied. Are you saying there's a work-around?

Bob Hall