[Dovecot] Rogue child imap processes when using Mac imap clients

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 9 00:29:20 EET 2003

On Dec 8, 2003, at 7:28 PM, darren david wrote:

> I am currently running dovecot 0.99.10p2 on OpenBSD-3.4-snapshot. It
> has been very stable, but I have recently noticed that I am having
> problems when checking IMAP-SSL mail with Mac OS X clients. There are
> not problems using Mozilla or Outlook on Windows, but Mac clients
> (Thunderbird, Mozilla, Mail.app) all exhibit the same behavior - they
> can check and send mail, but I end up with a single, rogue child imap
> process on the server that pins the cpu that i have to 'kill -9' to
> clear out.
>
> Is this a Mac problem or a Dovecot problem? I'm not even sure what to
> look for in the logs...

Hmm. Check with ktrace what the imap process is doing and send the log
to me? (I'm not exactly sure how ktrace worked, it was a bit weird.)
And maybe check with gdb too where it's stuck at (gdb
/usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap <pid> and "bt" command). Or is it imap
process or imap-login process?

Anyway, I haven't noticed problems with Mail.app.