[Dovecot] Folder names

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 9 00:36:22 EET 2003

On Dec 5, 2003, at 11:48 PM, Keith Edmunds wrote:

> I'm not sure offhand exactly which version of Dovecot I'm running - it
> doesn't seem to have a -V switch.

There's --version. Looks like it's missing in the help line.

> Anyway, I created a folder which had
> periods in the name. There was no problem with that, but MUAs now
> report
> that folder as a hierarchy. For example:

Yep, default maildir hierarchy separator is a period.

> Now the obvious answer is "don't do that". However, should Dovecot
> either a) refuse to create a folder with an embedded period in the name
> or 2) manage (somehow) the fact that not all periods represent
> hierarchical delimiters?

It's not really possible for Dovecot to know which one you meant if
hierarchy separator is '.' too. Next version has it configurable, so if
you then changed it to '/' I guess I could make it then refuse to
create any folders with '.' in it's name. Or if you wanted to, you
could change the maildir++ separator in the filesystem itself (easy to
change in next version as well).