[Dovecot] Bugfix for use with "Opera mail" and "AnalogX"

Gerhard Muntingh gerhardm at muntingh.tmfweb.nl
Sat Dec 20 14:17:18 EET 2003

Dear developers,

[ Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to this list. ]

In src/pop3-login/client.c:

  void client_send_line(struct pop3_client *client, const char *line)
  {
  	o_stream_send_str(client->output, line);
  	o_stream_send(client->output, "\r\n", 2);
  }

Called as 'client_send_line(client "+OK dovecot");'.

This function sends two packets to the client.  It appears Opera mail
and AnalogX proxy recognise the 1st packet as a complete welcome and
send their "USER " command after receiving it.  They then receive the
newline in the next packet and get confused.

This is very probably a bug in those two programs, but it would still
be great if it could be fixed in the dovecot source.

My personal fix involved a buffer on the stack (char tmp[LENGTH]) and
some sanity checks wherein the newline is strcat'ed to the string.
That's not very nice, but it works for me.

Can someone please fix this?  There may even be more pop clients having
problems with this.

kind regards,

Gerhard Muntingh.