[Dovecot] Re: Bugfix for use with "Opera mail" and "AnalogX"

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Dec 21 14:52:11 EET 2003

Gerhard Muntingh <gerhardm at muntingh.tmfweb.nl> writes:

> Dear developers,
>
> [ Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to this list. ]
>
> In src/pop3-login/client.c:
>
>   void client_send_line(struct pop3_client *client, const char *line)
>   {
>   	o_stream_send_str(client->output, line);
>   	o_stream_send(client->output, "\r\n", 2);
>   }
>
> Called as 'client_send_line(client "+OK dovecot");'.
>
> This function sends two packets to the client.  It appears Opera mail
> and AnalogX proxy recognise the 1st packet as a complete welcome and
> send their "USER " command after receiving it.  They then receive the
> newline in the next packet and get confused.

> This is very probably a bug in those two programs, but it would still
> be great if it could be fixed in the dovecot source.

The client bug will have to be fixed nonetheless because sooner or
later, some response will arrive with the last CRLF on a packet
boundary, killing off the client.

I'd suggest not fixing Dovecot until after the clients are fixed, so
that the vendors have something to test against.

--
Matthias Andree