[dovecot] Re: About the dovecot package (fwd)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Feb 3 09:03:53 EET 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 08:45, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> Dear Timo,
>
> What do you think of this?  Fyi, I've been getting the same thing lately
> and I'm wondering if gnutls is to blame?  (i've had inexlicable SIGSEGVs
> in other apps before due to it.)  Tomorrow I'll try with openssl but I was
> wondering if you had any other ideas?
..
> Jan 31 02:50:44 www imap-master: child 22234 (imap) killed with signal 11

SSL connections are handled by imap-login process, so it can't be that.
Can't really say what would be crashing it .. Well, I'm not sure what
commands mutt uses, but I've found at least a few bugs with SEARCH
command that could crash.

Best way to find out would be to get stacktrace of the crash. imap
processes won't core dump because they've called setuid() (which is kind
of annoying), so you'd have to attach gdb to the running process:

gdb /usr/lib/dovecot/imap <pid>
<wait for crash>
bt

> It only happens when mutt is configured with a lot of folders. Maybe
> covecot loads too much indexes in memory and reachs some limit, but I
> have readed carefully the conf file and hadn't found anything related.

Indexes are loaded only one at a time (or two sometimes) to memory.
Amount of folders shouldn't affect anything, but maybe one of the
folders contained something Dovecot didn't like.

CVS has quite a lot of rewritten code for many things though and has
fixed at least a couple of possible crashes.. I think it's now in pretty
usable state, maybe I should put some test-version out of it. New things
are at least POP3 server and (not quite finished) LDAP support.