[dovecot] Re: pop3: last, and auth plain

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Wed Feb 26 23:45:38 EET 2003

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 11:26:48PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 23:04, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> > A couple of comments regarding the POP3 server (I realize the POP3
> > server is probably low priority though..)
> >
> > One problem is that the "LAST" command is not supported.  Some mail
> > clients end up downloading all messages every time because of this
> > (or so I'm told).  The biggest source of these remarks is people
> > using the yahoo webmail front end.  I wonder if this could be added?
>
> http://www.remote.org/jochen/mail/info/pop3-last.html

Yes, of course.  Duh.  I was just having a conversation a few hours
ago with somebody about how the concept of "mailbox order" is
not always a valid one.  Sometimes I fail to connect the dots.

> > Also, under BSD/OS, the "auth plain" mechanism doesn't work.  Perusing
> > the mailing list archives, I see that the symptoms appear just like
> > those that were reported earlier for another BSD system.  I'm curious
> > as to whether there has been any progress on that front?
>
> All BSD issues should have been fixed by now. I just tested with FreeBSD
> 5 and Linux, AUTH PLAIN worked just fine in both. Does USER+PASS work?
> Try enabling auth_verbose = yes?
>
> And what errors exactly do you see now? There's been several different
> BSD errors :)

I'll have to investigate further.  Unfortunately the main symptom
is that people call and say "it doesn't work" -- enabling auth_verbose
may help.  I had some indications that the dovecot-auth process died
prematurely, but that could simply be operator error.

BTW for a completely random remark: you might get configure to check
whether "lchown()" exists and use "chown()" if it does not
(in safe-mkdir.c)

-mm-