[Dovecot] Configuration file changes

Ian Kumlien pomac at vapor.com
Tue Jul 1 23:37:16 EEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 22:16, Farkas Levente wrote:
> so what I do not understand:
> - what the "group" means? why not just a simple {} pair?
> - until no there wasn't any king of grouping eg. what can I write inside
> a login {} part? what is the server part ? etc... it seems to me a
> config file can become a big mass.
> - in the 1. case server a is a union of all group where "server a"
> appear or???
>
> everybody else understand it and just I'm so stupid?

For me it's simpler and more structured... It could also minimize the
actual size needed for a really cool config.

If you had ever worked with bind (dns) you'd recognize the syntax
immediately but you don't have to add the semicolons.

Example:
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "named.local";
};

> > group imap {
> >   protocols = imap
> >   # some IMAP defaults for a/b
> >   server a { ... }
> >   server b { ... }
> > }
> >
> > group pop3 {
> >   protocols = pop3
> >   # different POP3 defaults for a/b
> >   server a { ... }
> >   server b { ... }
> > }

How about protocol <protocol name> { protocol specific options } ?

Since i have some comments i'll be chipping in here.

> > 2. Are servers themselves, providing defaults for subgroups:
> >
> > server main-server {
> >   # defaults
> >   login {
> >     listen = main.server.org
> >   }

or
      listen { comma-seperated-list }

> >   auth default {
> >     # ...
> >   }
> >   server debug-server {
> >     login {
> >       listen = debug.main.server.org
> >       auth_verbose = yes

couldn't auth verbose be in a global or per server entry 'options {
comma-seperated-list } ? or have i been playing to much with bind?

> >     }
> >     # possibly a few other settings changed
> >   }
> > }

All-in-all i like the C like syntax and i find it more *nix than var =
value. (been using to many old deamons it seems... =))

PS. Hi Emma, you show up everywhere except arcnet =)
DS.

--
Ian Kumlien <pomac at vapor.com>