[Dovecot] search throwing "Sequence out of range"

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jul 9 18:09:26 EEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 00:00, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> Mulberry client-side message filtering can be persuaded to search for a
> nonexistent message ...
>
> <tag> NO Sequence out of range: 12
>
> I *think* the correct behaviour here is to return a null set of search
> results and avoid the error message in the client. i.e.

I think Dovecot's behaviour is correct enough here, but I'll ask in
imap-list just in case since other servers do seem to ignore invalid
message sets in SEARCH. That may however be just because lack of error
checking.

> Certainly this is how other servers seem to work, and my understanding
> of the next paragraph from IMAP4REV1 RFC seems to backs this up (though
> the wording in the RFC isn't 100% clear to me)
>
>       "Message set ranges are permitted; however, there is no guarantee
>       that unique identifiers be contiguous.  A non-existent unique
>       identifier within a message set range is ignored without any error
>       message generated."

That talks about UIDs. That search command was searching for message
sequence 12, not UID 12.