[Dovecot] Concerns switching from Courier to Dovecot

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jul 10 03:38:28 EEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 03:23, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > You'd currently have to recompile Dovecot with the new filenames, but
> > that's pretty easy to do. And I think I'll make these filenames also
> > configurable from config file.
>
> Don't add too many options. Removing options that aren't directly
> necessary is bliss. Adding a compile-time option to switch the whole set
> of names to "Dovecot mode" or "Courier-IMAP" mode is sufficient, if at
> all needed. Dovecot has yet to see its 1.0 release, so changing the
> default file names NOW is easier done than later.

I agree that there shouldn't be too many options, but I'm beginning to
think there should be some settings to make it easy for people to
install Dovecot from binary packages and easily try it along existing
Courier or UW-IMAP installation.

That'd mean mostly two settings: location for subscriptions file and
location for Maildir file <-> UID mappings file.