[Dovecot] Configuration file changes in CVS

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Thu Jul 10 15:06:39 EEST 2003

--On 10 July 2003 12:54 +0300 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> Actually I'm not really sure how things like INBOX should actually be
> defined. Or some other single mailbox file in the top level. INBOX
> shouldn't be shown as a separate namespace, but you might want it to
> have different settings.

Perhaps there could be one level of 'folder' containers allowed inside
'namespace' in the config...

namespace {
  prefix =
  type = private
  separator = .
  location = maildir:~/
  folder {
    name = INBOX
    location = mbox:/var/mail/%u
    separator = /
  }
}

I think it may be something of a problem to expose different separators
for different parts of the hierarchy... any clients which don't
understand 'namespace' won't have a clue, and I suspect that some
clients which do understand 'namespace' might not cope with different
folder separators in different namespaces. So I think that 'separator'
in namespace/folder config should refer to 'internal' namespace, and
translate for the user. e.g. like
<http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/download/imapd/altnamespace.html#unixhier
sep>

What does INBOX.foo do? What about INBOX/foo? Maybe there should be
allow_subs = (yes|no) for folders (to set whether subfolders should be
created with that 'style' or whether they should be created in the
parent namespace).

If namespace configuration is being looked at now, it would probably
make sense to ensure that it will be flexible enough to cope with as
many future requirements as possible without change. I'm thinking of
post-1.0 possiblities here, i.e. ACLs...I think that it might be worth
examining any possible namespace config to see whether it's capable of
implementing ACLs without big changes to the design.

Besides 'system' shared folders with ACLs, Cyrus has 'user' shared
folders which it places in an 'other users' namespace (normally user.*)
- this is *really* useful... Clients which know how to deal with ACLs
don't require admin assistance to share a folder. e.g. login to an
ACL-capable server with Mulberry (anonymous login to imap.cyrusoft.com
will give some idea, though you can't change anything with that login),
right-click a mail folder and choose 'Details' and you get an extra
"access-control" tab with a GUI for adding users.