[Dovecot] Configuration file changes in CVS

Charlie Brady charlieb-dovecot at e-smith.com
Thu Jul 10 23:02:17 EEST 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Mark E. Mallett wrote:

> > Back to the topic, I'd rather there wasn't a configuration file at all.
> > I've got very used to Dan Berstein/Bruce Guenter software where
> > environment variables and command line arguments are the only
> > configuration.
>
> I also agree here- that kind of control is nice for some things,
> particularly when those things are simple boolean switches
> (enable/disable), and especially when it makes sense to control those
> things at runtime on a discrete basis.

Agreed.

> However note "environment
> variables and command line arguments only" is not necessarily the
> philosophy for djb's stuff (I'm afraid I have no experience with the
> other).

However, avoiding parsing *is* a clear policy of his, with, I think,
considerable payback in reliability and simplicity of control.

> qmail, for example, has a raft of control files that, well,
> control its operation.

Sure, but they are all *very* simple in format.

> And sometimes more complex configurations do make sense, for example
> for where encapsulations of multiple settings are common.

Such encapsulation can usually be done another way, for example by having
multiple directories, each holding a collection of simple config files.
ezmlm, for instance, works this way.

--
Charlie