[Dovecot] Configuration file changes in CVS

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Thu Jul 10 23:15:00 EEST 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 04:02:17PM -0400, Charlie Brady wrote:

> However, avoiding parsing *is* a clear policy of his, with, I think,
> considerable payback in reliability and simplicity of control.
>
> > qmail, for example, has a raft of control files that, well,
> > control its operation.
>
> Sure, but they are all *very* simple in format.

Yes and no.  Files like:

tag:value

are easy to read.  Files like

field1:field2:field3:field4:field5:field6:field7:field8

or a collection ofa-gazillion easy-to-read but
a-lifetime-to-wade-through files make it easy for the computer but
very difficult for the human.  I kinda like it when the computer makes
it easy for the human.  There is certainly middle ground where parsing
is not error prone (realizing that all programs have to be debugged):
somewhere in between LISP and a natural language system is just fine
with me.  I'm not going to belabor it, though..  Timo will do what he
will do :-)

mm