[Dovecot] Configuration file changes in CVS

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jul 12 02:05:52 EEST 2003

On Thursday, Jul 10, 2003, at 18:48 Europe/Helsinki, Mark E. Mallett
wrote:

> On this whole storage/namespace/search-path thing-- wouldn't it be nice
> if various imap/pop server implementations could settle on some
> standard ways of dealing with things?

I wouldn't mind.

>  Certainly not the same
> techniques, but the same effects and terms and storage layouts --
> making it possible to switch between various implementations.

That's what I've been trying to do, make it as easy as possible to
switch to Dovecot :)

> Filesystem layout:  for example a big bugaboo is that once you choose
> a Maildir as your primary mailbox (in a Maildir++ -like world), you're
> locked in there.  Plenty of users already have their own idea of where
> they'd like their folders to be, and in what format (some maildir,
> some mbox), and it's just not reasonable to expect them to give that
> up.  It ought to be possible to easily mix and match collections of
> Maildir, Maildir++, and mbox formats throughout a users' home space
> (and elsewhere, if allowed).  Over in binciland there is the notion of
> an IMAPdir which addresses some of this although I don't think it's
> perfect.  (I believe Andreas is here too..)

I've thought about implementing IMAPdir-like directory structure before
too. I guess it might as well be IMAPdir exactly. IMAPdir-like
structure should give users possibility to store the mailboxes in any
format anywhere they want by using symlinks. At least that sounds much
better to me than having to parse configuration file in user's home
directory.