[Dovecot] Dovecot on Linux 2.6.0-test1-ac1

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 16 08:56:10 EEST 2003

Hi all

For various reasons I was looking into 2.6, so I installed a copy on my
desktop. Everything works fine, except for dovecot - errors such as this
appeared in the syslog:
Jul 15 14:41:09 typhaon dovecot: Dovecot starting up
Jul 15 14:41:12 typhaon imap-login: setuid(113) failed: Resource
temporarily unavailable
Jul 15 14:41:12 typhaon dovecot: Login process died too early - shutting
down

I can imagine why setuid() should ever fail, I've confirmed that the
daemon is running as UID zero at the time it makes the call. However,
the call succeeds if I comment out:
    restrict_process_size((unsigned int)-1, 1);
on line 134 of src/login-common/main.c it starts to work again.

It's very strange - I got the idea to try this from the list archives.
I'm willing to track this down if anyone can suggest possible things in
restrict_process_size() that might be causing this failure. All the
other daemons that I run that need to drop root privileges work fine..

Cheers
Grahame

Grahame Bowland                       Email: grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services    Phone: +61 8 9380 1175
The University of Western Australia     Fax: +61 8 9380 1109
                                     CRICOS: 00126G