mkdir {cur,tmp,new}? (was Re: [Dovecot] Speed and memory probs writing large Maildir)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jun 4 19:45:52 EEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 23:29, Charlie Brady wrote:
> On 30 May 2003, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
> > It still does a few unnecessary things every time mailbox is opened (ie.
> > at every APPEND command). I think I shouldn't try to mkdir() the cur,
> > new and tmp dirs immediately. Those could be more easily created if/when
> > stat() fails while syncing.
>
> Shouldn't the maildir only be created in response to a CREATE command. It
> certainly shouldn't be as the result of an APPEND:
>
>    If the destination mailbox does not exist, a server MUST return an
>    error, and MUST NOT automatically create the mailbox.
>
> I would interpret any of cur, new and tmp being missing as "mailbox does
> not exist".

Well, maybe. I was just thinking cases when a DELETE died in the middle
of it, and left only some of the dirs there. In that case you couldn't
then SELECT/APPEND the mailbox, but I guess you could DELETE it again..

Or maybe rather Dovecot should just create those dirs when it notices
they don't exist while trying to use them. I like to be able to create
new mailboxes with "mkdir .boxname".