[Dovecot] Re: mkdir {cur,tmp,new}?

Charlie Brady charlieb-dovecot at e-smith.com
Wed Jun 4 21:07:33 EEST 2003

On 4 Jun 2003, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 23:29, Charlie Brady wrote:
> >
> > I would interpret any of cur, new and tmp being missing as "mailbox does
> > not exist".
>
> Well, maybe. I was just thinking cases when a DELETE died in the middle
> of it, and left only some of the dirs there. In that case you couldn't
> then SELECT/APPEND the mailbox, but I guess you could DELETE it again..

Can you DELETE a mailbox which doesn't exist?

If a DELETE dies in the middle, and the maildir isn't complete, then by my
definition (and I'd claim, logically) the mailbox does not exist. If a
mailbox doesn't exist, you can SELECT/APPEND or DELETE. But it shouldn't
appear in a LIST, and you must be able to CREATE.

> Or maybe rather Dovecot should just create those dirs when it notices
> they don't exist while trying to use them.

I think a maildir must be complete to exist. Hence it's wrong to "by
stealth" convert a partial maildir to a complete one.

> I like to be able to create new mailboxes with "mkdir .boxname".

Shouldn't that be "CREATE boxname"? :-)

--
Charlie