[Dovecot] Cache optimization (was Re: 0.99.10-rc2 and rawlog)

Charlie Brady charlieb-dovecot at e-smith.com
Mon Jun 23 23:51:22 EEST 2003

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Charlie Brady wrote:

> Now things seem to work, and mostly fast, but Date header seems not to be
> indexed by default. I have > 60second sorting by Date, with every message
> read. This seems new behaviour post 0.99.8.4. Is it intentional?

>From example conf:

# Different IMAP clients work in different ways, that's why Dovecot by default
# only caches MessagePart which speeds up most operations. Whenever client
# does something where caching could be used, the field is automatically marked
# to be cached later. For example after FETCH BODY the BODY will be cached
# for all new messages. Normally you should leave this alone, unless you know
# what most of your IMAP clients are. Caching more fields than needed makes
# the index files larger and generate useless I/O.

It seems that this cache optimization which applies to FETCH is not
applied to SORT. The client said:

000c sort (DATE) US-ASCII ALL 1:10912

and all message files are read.

--