[Dovecot] Message display corrupted or missing in Netscape 7.0 and Mozilla 1.3

Steven Enderle enderle at mdn.de
Thu Jun 26 11:54:40 EEST 2003

Hi,

a few days ago, we switched our site from pop3 to imap. We are running
about 20 users with Netscape 7.0 on a FreeBSD-4.8 Server . I installed
dovecot 0.9.99.1 via the freebsd-ports collection, which was as easy as
make install and start dovecot. Our users mailboxes are still standart
mbox format in /var/mail/(user), as it is default in Freebsd.

Now we suffer from a realy ugly problem, which was arising after the
switch from pop3. When Netscape is newly started, it works fine as
expected until Netscape displays messages corrupted or stops displaying
them completly. I also cannot forward them in that state or open or
delete them in any other way. The only way to get it working again is to
quit Netscape, exit quickstart and restart Netscape again.

It just hangs on a bunch of messages or all of them.

The user notices it like this: There are three windows displayed in
netscape mail:

1. imap folder view
2. message list of the current folder and
3. the currently displayed message.

The Folder view and Message List in Netscape is always fine, so the
Subject and sender, time, etc is always displayed in the List. The
problem occurs then on some messages when i select them for reading. The
Message Display below the message list just stays empty (also opening
the message in a new window doesn't help) or the "title bar in the
Message Display" stays empty (no subject, sender, time etc) and the raw
email starting with header, raw html email and encoded attachment is
shown below, each line followed by another blank line, like this:

== start corrupted email

	by xx.de (Postfix) with ESMTP id D31B7A88F

	for <xx at mdn.de>; Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:55:07 +0200 (CEST)

html and stuff following...

== end   corrupted email

One could read it, but its realy ugly.

It seems, that if i delete a lot of messages in sequence (the morning
spam), i can force to happen that problem earlier. It always hangs while
deleting my spam.

I like dovecot a lot, it was easy to install etc and works pretty fine
except that it still seems to be in beta-stage. Now i would switch to
courier/uw-imap until dovecot is ready, but the mbox format dovecot is
using seems to be pretty uniq? I think, the users could keep their
/var/mail/Username-INBOX, but wouldn't they loose their email folders?
Is there any way to switch the software in a easy way? Or will there be
a near future release which will fix that? What about the cvs version?

Thanks for you help!

Best regards

Steven