[dovecot] pine/dovecot issues

David E. Storey dave at tamos.net
Sat Mar 1 20:10:12 EET 2003

Folks,

I'm running into some issues with pine and dovecot. (dovecot is running
mbox for now... plan to switch to maildir soon.) At first I thought it
was a funky issue with the way I was using pine to access mailboxes. (I
use rsh to invoke imap as pre-authenticated so when I switch to
maildirs, I don't have to worry about pine being patched to support it.)
But after switching over to using authenticated IMAP over port 143, it
still had issues.

I'm getting messages like:

Junk in start of group
Not an Address
Junk at end of envelope
Unknown Message property

Thus far, it seems to only occur in pine. (Squirrelmail and evolution
appear to be fine) Is it the client? Is it dovecot? is it easily
fixable? It feels like some sort of escaping issue or parsing issue or
something. I just don't know enough about IMAP to determine exactly what
it is.

I'm using dovecot v0.99.8, MAIL=mbox:%h/Mail/:INBOX=%h/.mailbox
I've just converted off of wu-imap in hopes of someday migrating to
maildirs on that box. (anyone know of a good mbox to maildir conversion
tool? I used to have on that worked fine, but I've since found a ton
that don't work well for me at all. I have about a gig of email to
backup and convert)

d!