[dovecot] Re: pine/dovecot issues

Ian R. Justman ianj at ian-justman.com
Sat Mar 1 20:42:39 EET 2003

David E. Storey wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm running into some issues with pine and dovecot. (dovecot is running
> mbox for now... plan to switch to maildir soon.) At first I thought it
> was a funky issue with the way I was using pine to access mailboxes. (I
> use rsh to invoke imap as pre-authenticated so when I switch to
> maildirs, I don't have to worry about pine being patched to support it.)
> But after switching over to using authenticated IMAP over port 143, it
> still had issues.
>
> I'm getting messages like:
>
> Junk in start of group
> Not an Address
> Junk at end of envelope
> Unknown Message property
>
> Thus far, it seems to only occur in pine. (Squirrelmail and evolution
> appear to be fine) Is it the client? Is it dovecot? is it easily
> fixable? It feels like some sort of escaping issue or parsing issue or
> something. I just don't know enough about IMAP to determine exactly what
> it is.

Same here, though the only thing I have observed is that when you get a
message with just the e-mail address, i.e. no GCOS field, in the To: field,
the address field in the message list is blank.  Normally with UW IMAP and
Pine reading the spools directly, it will just happily replace that field
with just the e-mail address.

Minor thing, but thought I'd bring it up since we are on the topic of Pine
and Dovecot since this issue only seems to affect Pine.  Though in this
case, I do not think that the mailstore format is the issue here.  Since I
also saw a headers section in the config file, it could be a peculiarity
that could be fixed that way.

--Ian.