[dovecot] OSX & Authentication

Scott A.McIntyre scott at xs4all.net
Thu Mar 6 19:49:51 EET 2003

Hi,

Taking a stab at getting OSX Server 10.2.4 running Dovecot -- with a
minor tweak of replacing lchown() with chown() in the
src/lib/sakfe-mkdir.c, it compiled and installed without any problems.

However, oddness in authentication.  It works once, but only once.  I'm
trying to use pam and have the following:

auth       required     pam_securityserver.so
auth       sufficient     pam_unix.so
account    required       pam_unix.so

In the dovecot.conf I have (amongst other things):

auth_userdb = passwd
auth_passdb = pam

I start up dovecot and do:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK dovecot ready.
. login scott pass
. OK Logged in.
. logout
* BYE Logging out
. OK Logout completed.

No problem.

However, try it again and:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK dovecot ready.
. login scott pass
. NO Authentication failed.
. logout
* BYE Logging out
. OK Logout completed.

Perhaps there's a better way to get dovecot playing under osx; I'd
tried a number of ways of using pam, but perhaps there's a magic other
option I've not got working yet.  I do run the password server and my
account name is using that as per the Workgroup Manager's settings (as
opposed to Basic)...

Any thoughts appreciated!

Scott