[Dovecot] dovecot vs cyrus, uw, etc.

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Tue Nov 4 20:24:38 EET 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 05:50:29PM -0500, Scott Klein wrote:
> I've been doing research on switching our current e-mail server
> (qpopper, sendmail) to imap. The decision on which server to use is
> essentially down to Cyrus and Dovecot -- I like Cyrus' approach to a lot
> of things, but the "blackbox" nature of it makes some niceties like
> using spamassassin and procmail difficult, or at least counterintuitive.
> Dovecot seems to play nicer with other apps.

I'm a little confused about the question.  qpopper, sendmail, and imap
are all implementations of different things.  You can have all three
of those.. so the question about moving from (qpopper,sendmail) to
imap confuses me.  (Probably just me being too literal?)

procmail/spamassassin can be applied at final delivery time, without
affecting which POP or imap implementation you choose.

> Does anybody on this list use Dovecot to serve mission critical e-mail
> to an entire company?

We use dovecot for some number of thousands of mailboxes.  I'm quite
happy with it.  As with anything, one can always want more features,
but the 0.99.10 version does what it does quite well.  I know that's
not an answer :-)

mm