[Dovecot] Re: dovecot vs cyrus, uw, etc.

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Sun Nov 9 01:00:17 EET 2003

Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Tom Allison <tallison at tacocat.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
>>With regard to procmail/spamassassin support I have the following
>>recommendation, and it can be applied to both cyrus and dovecot (I think).
>

>>You do not mention what SMTP system you are using, I will assume you are
>>sticking with sendmail and changing qpopper to some IMAP server.
>>However, I would suggest you consider postfix in place of sendmail.  And
>>yes, it's very ready for mission critical.
>

>>There is a package called amavisd-new which allows you to set up an
>>anti-virus scanner and spamassassin as an extension of postfix.  This
>>can process email before it's delivered from postfix to where ever
>>(procmail/lmtp/...)
>
> [...]
>
> I am an exim-guy. ;-) But afaik this all is possible with sendmail, too,
> amavisd-new connects to sendmail's milter interface. /This/ is no reason
> to switch MTAs.
>                cu andreas

True, amavis will work with sendmail or postfix equally well.

I find people familiar with sendmail stick with it.
Those who are newer to email find postfix a little easier or more
secure* or something that makes it more compelling.

* As I understand it, sendmail can be very insecure to someone who isn't
paying attention to details.