[Dovecot] dovecot vs cyrus, uw, etc.

Brook Humphrey bah at webmedic.net
Thu Nov 13 20:03:50 EET 2003

On Wednesday 31 December 1969 04:00 pm, you wrote:
> There is a package called amavisd-new which allows you to set up an
> anti-virus scanner and spamassassin as an extension of postfix.  This
> can process email before it's delivered from postfix to where ever
> (procmail/lmtp/...)
>
> This simplifies some things in that the mail, as delivered to the MDA
> has already been "bagged and tagged" as spam, virus, good/bad and you
> can use procmail/sieve equally effectively for filtering from there.

here I dont have 60 employies but I do generate about 1200 emials a day. I use
Postfix with maildrop wich is much easier to use than procmail and at least
if not more powerful. I have maildrop do local delivery and then use dovecot
in secure mode with imap to get the emails. Even with imap dovecot is
blindingly fast. Folders with around 10000 emails refresh in under a minute
with about 600 or so at a time that are new.

The nice thing about this is that with maildrop I can easily filter spam whit
spamassassin. At about 600 spam emails a day it misses about 1% I have only
had about 2 or 3 false positives for about 30000 or 40000 spam emails. Thats
a very good ratio.

I also filter virii with anomy saitizer. It works very simply and never needs
any definition update files. You can set the config file to simply not allow
certain kinds of atachments. It is 100% secure 100% of the time. It can
easily be set to allow some kinds of atachments like zip or whatever. This is
not so bad as any user that knows enough to unzip a file is a little more
advanced and hopefully knows a little bit more about their system. Anomy also
defangs bad html in some emails to protect from that kind of atack.

I then have maildrop filter the spam out and virii out into thier own folders
on the imap server. The files can still be accessed but for hte most part you
dont need to.

The reason i use imap is so that i can check the virii and spam and see if it
is all legit.

Pop would be very easy to set up and run on this also allowing the user to
easily download anything that is not spam or virii which the admin could
later check out and either transfer for the user and simply delete.

If it is needed maildrop could also be setup to make spamassassin autolearn
new spam or ham.

--
New and improved with advanced outlook crash handler.
<!--><input type -->
http://www.webmedic.net, bah at webmedic.net, bah at linux-mandrake.com
                                 Holiness unto the Lord