[Dovecot] 0.99.10.2 released

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri Nov 21 16:23:19 EET 2003

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:31:01, Brook Humphrey wrote:
>
>>I dont use mutt but I do know that pine does support maildir.
>

> Not out of the box. The author of the underlying c-client support
> library refuses to add Maildir support. I cleaned up and rewrote the
> maildir driver once, like many people did before me and after me,
> but it will always be buggy unless the upstream author incorporates
> it into c-client proper. I tried, but I'm convinced it will never happen.

by any chance would this be the same author who keeps refusing to
document mbx format mailboxes and keeps claiming that a new indexed
mailbox format is just around the corner?

> It couldn't be easier with mutt - you do not need to do anything special.
> Mutt autodetects the mailbox format. Point it to a mbox - it will work.
> Point it to a maildir directory - it will work. Etc. That's why there
> are no instructions on how to use maildirs - you don't need any.

there you go, eliminating one more of my excuses for not making the
conversion.  Next thing you know, you will tell me that changing
sendmail over to use maildrop for delivery of messages in maildir format
is trivially easy and conversion of all existing mailboxes almost does
itself.

damm, there goes my weekend  :-)

---eric

--
Speech recognition in use.  Incorrect endings, words, and case is
closer than it appears