[Dovecot] dovecot, vpopmail and djb's tcpserver

Ian R. Justman ianj at ian-justman.com
Sat Sep 6 02:37:56 EEST 2003

Matthias Andree wrote:

> "Lasse Danielsen" <lasse at danielsen.tk> writes:
>

>>Well, what is proper and not can be discussed, I'm sure. I prefer using the
>>"botch" as you call it. I assume support for some kind of external
>>authentication mechanism need to be supported in dovecot for
>>pop/imap-before-smtp. Afaik, vchkpw is one of many such mechanism. I was
>>just asking if this had been done before, or if it's currently unsupported.
>

> If you really need it today, how about grepping the log for now (but
> beware of the infamous time zone!)? You may need to set auth_verbose=yes
> though.
>
> Sep  4 20:07:11 mail imap-login: Login: ma [80.135.11X.XXX]
>
> That should be sufficient to enable SMTP for a minute or two from that
> IP. A couple of lines of Perl around File::Tail should do.

Or here's another implementation of the "botch" method:

http://www.authd.org

This method does not use the system logs, but works by taking cues from
a hacked POP3/IMAP server, or in my case, a hacked POP3/IMAP proxy
(Perdition).  Thankfully, I no longer have to hack my MTA (Postfix) for
that side of the equation. ;)  I use a snapshot version of Authd, for
everyone's information.

However, since I implemented SMTP AUTH on my own servers, at some point,
I am considering completely phasing out POP-before-SMTP because it's a
Very Ugly Kludge(R).  Besides, the less I have to hack, the better. ;)

--Ian.