[Dovecot] Multiple instances of .customflags staying open

Ron dovecot at fabre.id.au
Tue Sep 23 14:16:28 EEST 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:28:48 +0300 Timo Sirainen (Timo Sirainen
<tss at iki.fi>) said:

> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 16:13, Ron wrote:
> > I've just recently noticed a serious problem with my system. After
> > about an hour or so I get errors in /var/log/maillog such as this;
> > Sep 21 06:40:16 the-system imap(ray): opendir() failed with file \
> > \/home/ray/Maildir//new: Too many open files
> >
> > I investigated with 'lsof' and found that many copies of
> > '.customflags' were open for each and every folder. ie; Each
> > folder's '.customflags' file was open 15 times!
>
> Could it be that your .customflags files are not writable to users?

No, they're all writable to the user.

> That's the only code path that I can see it leaking file descriptors
> for.customflags. Attached patch should also fix it.

This is likely a dumb question, but how do I apply the patch? I'm no
programmer, just an admin/user.

btw, the situation got worse today. I couldn't keep the mail client
running for more than a minute at a time. This is a real nuicence.

Thanks for the speedy reply!