[Dovecot] Multiple instances of .customflags staying open

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Sep 23 15:27:10 EEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 14:16, Ron wrote:
> > > I investigated with 'lsof' and found that many copies of
> > > '.customflags' were open for each and every folder. ie; Each
> > > folder's '.customflags' file was open 15 times!

Try manually running:

MAIL=~Maildir /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
x select inbox

and check if that process also is leaking .customflags files?

And is it really the same .customflags file that is open 15 times?

Do you use INDEX=MEMORY?

> > Could it be that your .customflags files are not writable to users?
>
> No, they're all writable to the user.

Then that patch probably doesn't help. Hmm. There's another way actually
for leaks to happen but I think it also leaks .data files. Happens when
opening indexes fails because it has to be rebuilt. Shouldn't happen
normally so I'm not sure if that's your problem either. I'll fix that
later today anyway.

> > That's the only code path that I can see it leaking file descriptors
> > for.customflags. Attached patch should also fix it.
>
> This is likely a dumb question, but how do I apply the patch? I'm no
> programmer, just an admin/user.

cd dovecot-0.99.10
patch -p0 < file.diff

(or -p1 sometimes)