[Dovecot] Dovecot Local Delivery Agent

news.gmane.org chills at ne-worcs.ac.uk
Thu Aug 5 14:08:49 EEST 2004

Hi

I noticed in a post that Timo might start work on a LDA Great! If so,
here is something I would really like included.

Support for PAM

There is quite a lengthy reason behind this. In my organisation, user
accounts are created on ldap. It is up to the services to create home
directories whenever the user first uses them. For instance, Samba will
do this the first time they connect to their windows home share. This
achieved in other places using pam, using the pam_mkhomedir module.

The MTA we run, Exim, is incapable of creating the home directory
automatically, or using PAM for local delivery, thus we have the problem
that when an account is created in the LDAP directory, it cannot receive
email until the user first logs in through IMAP - Dovecot calls pam,
which creates the home directory :-) Also attributing to this is the
fact that exim is configured to deliver email into $home using maildir
format rather than a mbox mail spool. We needed to do this because of
the huge size of some of the inboxes of our users. This caused a severe
amount of i/o blocking.

So far, I have been unable to find a LDA capable of doing this.

Since we migrated to dovecot, performance has improved ten-fold. I will
give it a week then show you the graphs to prove it!

Keep up the great work!

Regards

--
Chris Hills