[Dovecot] static userdb

Tom Metro tm at vl.com
Wed Aug 11 11:01:09 EEST 2004

Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> auth_userdb = static uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/var/mail/%d/%n/
 >>
>> Some questions the documentation left unanswered:
>> Is home= required if default_mail_env will suffice for virtual users?
>> Can mail= be used instead, as implied by the database documentation?

These questions weren't answered in your earlier reply.

>> Practically speaking, is there any difference between the two in the case of
>> virtual user accounts?
>
> Dovecot chdir()s into user's home directory. Currently there's no other
> difference.

Though if only home= is supported by static, then it seems there isn't a
mechanism to specify the mailbox type (other than as implied by the
trailing slash) or the INBOX location.

It seems a little confusing that in a real account scenario home=
defines the user's actual home directory (right?), but not necessarily
their mail directory, yet under a virtual user scenario the two are the
same thing. Or maybe it just seems that way because my default_mail_env
is set to the identical path in my case, as would be typical in a
virtual user setup.

Also, would it be practical to check during startup that the UID and GID
specified by the static db don't fall outside the range of:

first_valid_uid = 1000
last_valid_uid = 5001
first_valid_gid = 1000
last_valid_gid = 5001

I initially had that problem with my setup, but fairly quickly saw a run
time error in the log that led me to the cause.

  -Tom