[Dovecot] static userdb

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Aug 15 22:32:03 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 04:01 -0400, Tom Metro wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
> >> auth_userdb = static uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/var/mail/%d/%n/
>  >>
> >> Some questions the documentation left unanswered:
> >> Is home= required if default_mail_env will suffice for virtual users?
> >> Can mail= be used instead, as implied by the database documentation?
>
> These questions weren't answered in your earlier reply.

I don't think home is required there, although I'm a bit too lazy to
test now. There's not much point in having mail= there, because
default_mail_env is exactly for that.

> Though if only home= is supported by static, then it seems there isn't a
> mechanism to specify the mailbox type (other than as implied by the
> trailing slash) or the INBOX location.

You can in default_mail_env.

> It seems a little confusing that in a real account scenario home=
> defines the user's actual home directory (right?), but not necessarily
> their mail directory, yet under a virtual user scenario the two are the
> same thing. Or maybe it just seems that way because my default_mail_env
> is set to the identical path in my case, as would be typical in a
> virtual user setup.

I'd set the home directory in home= setting, then make the
default_mail_env be something like maildir:%h if they're the same.

> Also, would it be practical to check during startup that the UID and GID
> specified by the static db don't fall outside the range of:

A bit bloaty I think :)

I wrote a page anyway about this, what do you think:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/VirtualUsers