[Dovecot] Virtual Users documentation

Tom Metro tmetro+dovecot at vl.com
Mon Aug 16 11:39:25 EEST 2004

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> I wrote a page anyway about this, what do you think:
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/VirtualUsers

Quoting from that document:
>  System user and group IDs

The term "system user" is slightly confusing as it sometimes refers to
special UNIX accounts used for daemons. Instead:

user IDs (UIDs) and group IDs (GIDs)

The discussion on home directory location should mention that for
virtual users it is acceptable for the home directory to be set to the
same location as the mail location. Similar to what you wrote in the email:

> I'd set the home directory in home= setting, then make the
> default_mail_env be something like maildir:%h if they're the same.

> Typically with maildir this would be set to:
>
> default_mail_env = maildir:%h/Maildir

Although I assume unnecessary, due to the explicit 'maildir' tag,
wouldn't it be more consistent to show that with a trailing slash?

  -Tom