[Dovecot] delivery agent in 1.0?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Dec 23 19:05:54 EET 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 11:44 -0500, Geo Carncross wrote:
> How about a dovecot-inject tool that writes a message to whatever is
> considered the $LOCAL user? It wouldn't have to do much but write the
> message (safely) and update indexes -- something dovecot already has to
> do.

Yes, this would be pretty simple to implement, a few hundred lines of
code or so. I almost did it once but back then Dovecot couldn't update
indexes directly while saving messages so there wasn't really any use
for it.

But having such tool wouldn't exclude from having other LDAs or LMTP
server. I'd distribute the Sieve-capable LDA in separate package anyway.

> * LMTP implementations can do the work they've already have to do
> (regarding mapping email addresses to local users) and simply hook into
> the sieve processor or the dovecot-inject, or anything else the
> administrator/user likes.

I don't think there exists any LMTP servers which aren't highly
integrated into some other IMAP server. Actually only LMTP server I know
of is in Cyrus.

> Formally, dovecot-inject would need the following information:
>
> 1. the envelope recipient ($RECIPIENT)
> 2. the envelope sender/return-path/errors-to-address ($SENDER)
> 3. the IMAP folder to write the message to (argv[1])

Why not have them all in argv?

> On systems with shared-uids, dovecot-inject would also need the concept
> of the "localpart" of the address thats applicable. dovecot already
> needs to know this in order to ACCESS the maildrop. ($LOCAL)

That would probably be what is now in $MAIL / default_mail_env?

> This would keep things very easy to integrate without resorting to
> shared libraries, "plugin system" nonsense, or forcing people to make
> extra levels of indirection (lmtpclient) in order to benefit from pre-
> login indexing...

Sure. I don't want to use LMTP myself either, but I can see why it would
be useful for some people.