[Dovecot] delivery agent in 1.0?

Geo Carncross geocar-dovecot at internetconnection.net
Thu Dec 23 20:27:06 EET 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 19:05 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > Formally, dovecot-inject would need the following information:
> >
> > 1. the envelope recipient ($RECIPIENT)
> > 2. the envelope sender/return-path/errors-to-address ($SENDER)
> > 3. the IMAP folder to write the message to (argv[1])
>
> Why not have them all in argv?

I suppose you could... However, some MTA's will already have it in an
environment variable. Less copying...

> > On systems with shared-uids, dovecot-inject would also need the concept
> > of the "localpart" of the address thats applicable. dovecot already
> > needs to know this in order to ACCESS the maildrop. ($LOCAL)
>
> That would probably be what is now in $MAIL / default_mail_env?

Probably, but using $MAIL might be problematic if $MAIL was set up wrong
by some kind of login/stuff.

> > This would keep things very easy to integrate without resorting to
> > shared libraries, "plugin system" nonsense, or forcing people to make
> > extra levels of indirection (lmtpclient) in order to benefit from pre-
> > login indexing...
>
> Sure. I don't want to use LMTP myself either, but I can see why it would
> be useful for some people.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful for some people- I just like the
idea of preindexing, and I'm not going LMTP to do it. I also don't see
why LMTP has to be integrated with the IMAP server... because the
"cyrus" guys do it seems like an awful reason...

--
Internet Connection High Quality Web Hosting
http://www.internetconnection.net/