[Dovecot] Worthwile to use quotas?

Peter Clark peter-clark at bethel.edu
Thu Dec 23 20:43:07 EET 2004

On Thursday 23 December 2004 13:01, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Wietse Venema does not believe in soft quotas, and I believe he has a
> point. The Maildir++ quota support requires a somewhat complicated
> update protocol, and is effectively on a voluntary basis.
    What are the reasons against soft quotas?

> Consider using hard quotas instead.
    Am I correct in thinking that soft quotas==quotas imposed by software such
as maildrop, while hard quotas==quotas imposed on the user by the kernel? If
so, then this is problematic, since all the users are virtual, and none have
a shell account to impose a quota upon.
    :Peter