[Dovecot] Re: Worthwile to use quotas?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Dec 24 12:33:48 EET 2004

Peter Clark <peter-clark at bethel.edu> writes:

>     To return to my original question, would it work to implement
> quotas now with Maildrop, even though Dovecot doesn't support it, or
> should I just wait until version 1.0 (or whenever quotas are
> supported) is released? My thinking is that even if Dovecot doesn't
> support quotas, I can at least control what amount of mail arrives for
> the user, and I believe I saw something that said that Maildrop will
> recalculate the percentage of the quota filled on a regular basis if
> there is something (like Dovecot) fiddling with the mail but not
> changing the percentage. But if I'm wrong, and this is just going to
> hopelessly mess things up, I'd like to know.

Never cared too much for softquotas. If maildrop knows when Dovecot has
moved mails around (which changes the Maildir/.subfolder/{cur,new}
directories' mtime) so it knows when to recalculate the quotas for
folders, then give it a spin and see what you get. It might be
sufficient for the moment.

--
Matthias Andree