[Dovecot] delivery agent in 1.0?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 28 17:31:51 EET 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 13:27 -0500, Geo Carncross wrote:
> I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful for some people- I just like the
> idea of preindexing, and I'm not going LMTP to do it. I also don't see
> why LMTP has to be integrated with the IMAP server... because the
> "cyrus" guys do it seems like an awful reason...

I don't think Dovecot's LMTP server could necessarily be called
"integrated". I have other servers planned to run on top of Dovecot's
master and auth processes which have nothing to do with email at all.
It's just that Dovecot provides a lot of the needed functionality so
it's a good idea to build on top of it.

The LMTP server might as well be distributed in completely separate
package, but it probably takes max. 10kB or so of code, so I don't think
anyone cares if it's just included in the main package.

Also I'm not aware of any existing standalone LMTP server
implementations, so if I needed it I'd have to do it myself anyway.

Cyrus people do it mostly because it gives them much better performance
since they can keep their berkeley DBs open all the time. I don't think
Dovecot would get any extra performance from using LMTP. It's just a
convenient way of transferring mails from one server to another.