[Dovecot] Problem with Eudora

Scott Klein scott at thenation.com
Mon Jan 5 23:08:52 EET 2004

I'm trying to get Dovecot (dovecot-0.99.10-6) to work with Eudora (6.0
mac/win) and am having a real problem when I try to enable SSL, either
TLS or alternate-port SSL.

Although my other mail clients, mail.app, imp, etc. work just fine,
either version of Eudora craps out when trying to connect via TLS or SSL
-- on the mac I get the error

   Could not get mailbox list.
   20

   [CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (command)

On the PC I get something similar. Sometimes, on the mac, I don't get
the [CLOSED] part I get

   Unable to get the required mailbox list from the server

I've tried the "esoteric settings" trick (setting "user plain text
password" in the IMAP panel) but that doesn't work. Everything works
fine when I turn SSL off.

I'm kind of at my wit's end. Has anybody experienced this? Have I not
read TFM? Hope y'all can help.

Best,
Scott Klein