[Dovecot] Problem with Eudora

Amelia A. Lewis amyzing at talsever.com
Tue Jan 6 07:59:41 EET 2004

I had exactly this experience, and looked through the Eudora site.  The
result of my research was basically that Eudora doesn't do SSL/TLS
properly.

In my case, I was using a self-signed certificate.  The instructions for
how to make this work (pretend the IMAP server is a POP server?  so that
you can see the failed SSL negotiation and add the certificate?  is this
weird or am I?) were obscure, and didn't seem to work.  I could never
make it work.

This was for a client for whom I was setting up a mail system; they
wanted to move away from Outlook onto something more secure, and opted
for the name recognition of Eudora.  After fighting with it for a couple
of days, I tested with several alternate clients (thunderbird, mozilla,
pegasus, pocomail) and they all worked, so I recommended that the client
switch to something other than Eudora.

Or, in short, I think the problem is client lossage, not a server
problem.

Amy!

--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
According to Business Week, in the 1990s the ratio between a chief