[Dovecot] Dovecot not creating dirs

marko sarunac marko at sarunac.com
Tue Jan 27 00:09:18 EET 2004

I have looked trough the archives and found similar scenarios but mine is
a bit diff

I got dovecot running (0.99.10.4-2) on debian testing

and what is happening is that i created /home/marko/mail directory
and configured my postfix to deliver mail to ~/mail/Inbox

my default mail env is
default_mail_env = mbox:%h/mail/:INBOX=%h/mail/Inbox:INDEX=%h/mail/.indexes

Now when i first started my mozilla imap client what happened was!
Jan 26 21:46:34 imap(marko): Can't create temp index
/home/marko/mail/.indexes/.imap/INBOX/.temp.limbic.7523: No such file or
directory
Jan 26 21:46:34 imap(marko): utime() failed with index file
/home/marko/mail/.indexes/.imap/INBOX/.imap.index: No such file or
directory

after i manually
:~/mail$ mkdir .indexes
:~/mail$ cd .indexes/
:~/mail/.indexes$ mkdir .imap
:~/mail/.indexes$ cd .imap/
:~/mail/.indexes/.imap$ mkdir INBOX
:~/mail/.indexes/.imap$ cd INBOX/
:~/mail/.indexes/.imap/INBOX$

i only get
Jan 26 22:06:34 limbic imap(marko): utime() failed with index file
/home/marko/mail/.indexes/.imap/INBOX/.imap.index: No such file or
directory

On the other note...when i try to delete any mail from Inbox using IMAP
client i get
"The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded:
[TRYCREATE] Mailbox doesn't exist: trash"

This obviously shows that dovecot can't create neither files nor directories

I am using non system wide readable directories and just to try things i
did chmod -R 777 mail from /home/marko
didn't help

any ideas and comments are greatelly appreciated!!!