[Dovecot] Dovecot not creating dirs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 30 00:41:45 EET 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 00:09, marko sarunac wrote:
> my default mail env is
> default_mail_env = mbox:%h/mail/:INBOX=%h/mail/Inbox:INDEX=%h/mail/.indexes
>
> Now when i first started my mozilla imap client what happened was!
> Jan 26 21:46:34 imap(marko): Can't create temp index
> /home/marko/mail/.indexes/.imap/INBOX/.temp.limbic.7523: No such file or
> directory

Hmm. It shouldn't do this, as long as ~/mail exists. Try running this:

MAIL=mbox:$HOME/mail/:INBOX=$HOME/mail/Inbox:INDEX=$HOME/mail/.indexes strace /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap 2>log

and send the log file, if it doesn't work.

> after i manually
> :~/mail$ mkdir .indexes
> :~/mail$ cd .indexes/
> :~/mail/.indexes$ mkdir .imap

Dovecot should create all of these automatically. And it does with me.

> On the other note...when i try to delete any mail from Inbox using IMAP
> client i get
> "The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded:
> [TRYCREATE] Mailbox doesn't exist: trash"

This is because your IMAP client tries to move it to trash mailbox which
doesn't exist. Either configure your client not to use
move-to-trash-when-deleting, or create the trash mailbox.