[Dovecot] SpamAssassin

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Fri Jan 30 00:49:57 EET 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 05:03:09PM -0500, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> Rick Johnson wrote:

> >SA is more appropriate at the MTA level, not the MDA/MUA level. I'm not
> >sure why it would come up either. It's generally called from Procmail or
> >someplace like that.

Isn't that a contradiction?  procmail is most often used at the
delivery level, although sometimes it's used for system-wide
pre-filtering.  But I tend to think of procmail as LDA (local delivery
agent), so if you call spamassassin out of procmail, it's acting on
behalf of the LDA.

> I concur.  Filtering for spam belongs before the local delivery agent.

I disagree/agree.  While I believe there's room for spam filtering at
more than one point in the chain, it seems to me it's appropriate at
the LDA level on a per-user basis.  Now, if you're saying that it's
better to solve the spam problem so that it never gets to the LDA
point, yes, that would be wonderful.  But in a world where spam does
reach the end user, filtering at final delivery is appropriate.

> Of course, I complicate things with the hybrid sender-pays system and
> need to grab "outbound" e-mail messages for stamping.  Let's just say it
> makes for an interesting mail server configuration.

Ah well, I have my own bias too :-).  I have a utility that incorporates
a combination SIEVE/C delivery language.  Since I use as an LDA (among
other places) I obviously believe filtering is appropriate there.

mm