[Dovecot] Authentication Problems.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jul 14 13:00:38 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 03:02, Tom Ray [Lists] wrote:
> default_mail_env =
> mbox:/var/virtualdomains//%d/mail/%n/:INBOX=/var/virtualdomains/%d/mail/%n

Aren't you giving here the same file as both a directory and INBOX mbox
file? That doesn't work. The first path is supposed to be a directory
where dovecot can create non-INBOX files and it's indexes.

> It's my understanding that Dovecot can't parse out the domain name in
> the auth_userdb command so I modifed my setup to use just the one
> password file and modified it to this;
>   user at doman.com:passwd:uid:gid:Virtual
> User:/var/virtualdomains/domain.com/mail/user:/dev/null

That should work.

> Ownership/Group:
> -rwx------  1 dovecot dovecot 36 Jul 13 18:41 passwd

That depends on what you have put in auth_user. It shouldn't be the same
as login_user, so dovecot user is probably wrong here.

> Is there a setting I have wrong, a step I'm misisng, a permission I
> don't know about....let me know if there is any other information you
> might need and I will provide it.

Set auth_verbose = yes, and check log files. It gives then exact reason
why login failed.